Urban Farming Job Creation
In forming the very first Urban Seed Grow Team, our mission was to identify growers with an undeniable passion for plants and an array of experience. Hundreds of applications were received from all over the world, from Las Vegas to Costa Rica to Japan! We focused on selecting top talent amongst Las Vegas local candidates and those with training from different areas of the country. We have created a powerful and dynamic grow team that have a diverse mix of college education, large-scale greenhouse experience, and extensive training in aeroponics to change the way the world is fed!
+ Head Grower
Urban Seed is seeking a dependable, passionate, and hardworking individual to fill the position of Head Grower for its first, one-of- a-kind Las Vegas facility. This person will have the unique opportunity to be part of a team that grows fruits and vegetables in a controlled, technologically advanced system, with the goal of changing the way the world is fed. Urban Seed promotes a positive environment for both its plants and its team members to grow and flourish. The ideal candidate is an organized person with confidence in their growing abilities, a great feel for the health of the plants and experience in advising a highly productive and enthusiastic team of greenhouse management, growers and associated staff.
include, but are not limited to:
- Manage a technologically advanced hydroponic system, including sowing and transplanting,
- fertigation, greenhouse environment management, mechanization, sanitation, and general site management.
- Manage integrated pest management, including preventative measures, monitoring, and treatment using organically-approved products and beneficial insects.
- Supervise production programs developed by Director of Horticulture & Research and communicate progress and issues regularly.
- Implement policies and procedures relating to technical, high-output growing operations.
- Establish and maintain the required customer and regulatory certification.
- Authoritatively provide technical growing expertise, advice, and direction to team members at all times.
- Report labor needs to Director of Horticulture & Research and advise team members to complete tasks effectively.
- Adhere to work safety standards in day-to- day operations.
- Reports directly to Director of Horticulture & Research and Chief Operations Officer.
Other Conditions for Employment
include the ability to do the following:
- Be focused and attentive to detail, with a flexible mentality.
- Maintain confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information.
- Ability to lift 25-50 pounds.
- Ability to stand for a full 8-hour shift.
- Be comfortable working in summer heat conditions.
- Have a reliable form of transportation (car, train, bus, etc.).
- Have open availability for various work schedules.
- Provide necessary documentation for employment in the U.S.
- Communicate effectively with all levels of management and staff.
- Must not be allergic to bees.
Education + Experience
- 3+ years’ experience working in a commercial greenhouse.
- Supervisory experience required.
- Experience with and knowledge of hydroponic systems, vegetable greenhouse production,plant nutrition management and/or IPM is preferred.
- Agriculture/Horticulture Science qualification preferred.
How to Apply
Email a current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with a one-page cover letter that explains why you’re the best fit!